Driver Licencing

Record #: GRE0380
Last Modified: 15 Oct 2019
Last Full Update: 15 Oct 2019


Description (Service)

How can I use an Ontario driver's licence?

If you live in Ontario and want to drive, you must have an Ontario driver's licence. How you get a driver's licence depends on if you are a new driver or if you have had a driver's licence before.

You have to carry your driver's licence with you when you drive. It is also common to use a driver's licence as an identity document.

You can use an International Driver's Permit (IDP) when you first arrive in Canada. You will need to get an Ontario driver's licence within 60 days of moving to Ontario.

What types of vehicles can I drive?

Ontario has two common types of licences:

G class (includes G1 and G2) to drive cars, vans and small trucks
M class (includes M1 and M2) to drive motorcycles, motor scooters and mopeds

You do not need a licence to ride a bicycle

How do I get an Ontario driver's licence?

You must be 16 years old or older to get a driver's licence. You must pass a vision test to show that you can see well enough to drive.

You have to go to a Driver Examination Centre and pay a fee to apply for a driver's licence. You need to show:

* proof of name
* proof of age / date of birth
* a document with your signature

Search for a Driver Examination Centre location here

Nearby Driver Examination Centres are in:

Saugeen Business Park
200 McNab St
N0G 2V0

Mon-Fri 8:30 am-5 pm

Owen Sound
Spring Mount Business Park
107 Jason St, Unit 1
Owen Sound
N4K 5N7

Mon-Fri 8:30 am-5 pm

I have never had a driver's licence before

1. You have to pass a written knowledge test about traffic signs and lights, safe driving and driving rules. You can take the knowledge test in different languages

You can study using the Official MTO Driver's Handbook. The Driver's Handbook is available online or on hard copy for $14.95.

If you pass the knowledge test and vision test, you can get a G1 licence. You will be a beginner driver and you need to practice driving over time. With a G1 licence you can only drive with a fully licensed driver who has at least four years of driving experience. You cannot drive on 400-series highways and you cannot drive between midnight and 5 am. You cannot have any alcohol in your blood.

2. You have to pass a road driving test with an examiner beside you. The examiner will tell you where to go and watch you drive

Many people take professional driving lessons to learn to drive and prepare for driving tests. See a list of government-approved driving schools here

If you take driving lessons from an approved driving school you can take the G1 road test after 8 months. If you do not take driving lessons you can take the G1 road test after 12 months.

When you pass the G1 road test, you will have your G2 licence. With a G2 licence you can drive by yourself on any road, at any time of day. You must still have no alcohol in your blood.

3. After having your G2 licence for at least 12 months, you can take your G2 road test at a Driver Examination Centre

When you pass your G2 road test you will have a G licence. You must follow all the rules for full drivers.

I have a driver's licence from another country

If you have a driver's licence from a country with a Licence Exchange Agreement with Ontario, you can exchange your licence for a full Ontario driver's licence.

If you have a driver's licence from a country that does not have an agreement with Ontario, you must provide official written confirmation of your driving experience. The type of licence you can get will depend on the amount of driving experience you have.

If you have less than 12 months of driving experience in the last 3 years, you have to start the graduated licensing system process by getting your G1 licence.

If you have 12-24 months of driving experience in the last 3 years and you have official written confirmation from the country where you have a driver's licence, you can take a G1 road test and get your G2 licence.

How do I renew my driver's licence?

After you have a full Ontario driver's licence you have to renew it Go to a Driver and Vehicle Licence Office to renew your driver's licence or make changes to your address or other information. Driver Vehicle and Licence Offices are located at Service Ontario offices.

See a list of Service Ontario locations here

Nearby Service Ontario locations are in Durham, Hanover, Kincardine, Markdale, Meaford, Owen Sound, Port Elgin, Walkerton

Where do I find out more?

Visit this website for more information

Call the Ministry of Transport Ontario (MTO) if you have questions about driver's licences or vehicle registration: 1-800-387-3445

Service Details

Areas Served Ontario
Eligibility Ages: 16 year(s) and up

Address and Location

Located In Community Ontario
Address & Map

Contact information


CWD_NEWHUB_HEADINGS Ontario Driver's Licence

The information on the Website is provided for information purposes only. It is not intended to provide medical, legal or professional advice whatsoever and should not be relied upon in that respect. The website and the content are provided "as is". While Community Connection/211 endeavors to provide information that is correct, accurate and timely, Community Connection/211 makes no representations or warranties, express or implied, regarding the website and the content. The inclusion of an organization and information about its programs and services on the Website does not imply endorsement by Community Connection/211, nor does exclusion indicate lack of endorsement. For more information, please read the full Terms of Use for this site