Grey County.

Site: Owen Sound

Service: Social Services and Housing Departments - Sustainable Housing Benefit

Add Record Add Record | Suggest Update | Print Version (New Window)
Description (Service) COVID-19 Response 
As of August 4, 2020, the ban on disconnection for non-payment for natural gas and electricity has ended. Customer who were behind in payments prior to March should expect collection activities and disconnection notices in the following weeks.  
Utilities must let a customer know their account is overdue at least seven days prior to issuing a disconnection notice.  
Assistance with utility arrears is available through the usual programs (see below) 
In addition there is a special program available to those whose income has been affected by the pandemic. 
COVID-19 Energy Assistance Program (CEAP): for customers who are having difficulty paying their utility bills due to the COVID-19 Pandemic. 
* Available to consumers who have fallen behind by at least two billing cycles, but whose accounts were in good standing when provincial emergency was declared (Mar 17, 2020) 
* Available for those unemployed on the date they apply for funding, and have received Employment Insurance or the Canada Emergency Response Benefit since March 17, 2020 
* Provides electricity customers with up to $230 in support if they primarily use electricity for heating, or if they use energy-intensive medical devices, and up to $115 otherwise 
* Provides natural gas customers with up to $160 if they reside in Northern Ontario, and up to $80 if they reside elsewhere 
* Those who have received support from the Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LEAP) or the Ontario Electricity Support Program in the recent past are ineligible 
Applications will be available through the utility providers’ websites and will be accepted by email, mail, on-line application or by phone as of July 13, 2020. 
Customers will be credited on their utility account. 
For complete details and eligibility, contact your utility provider. 
Regular Service: 
Provides financial assistance to Grey County residents to establish or maintain an affordable residence * May be available to help residents who are experiencing homelessness to obtain affordable housing either within or outside of Grey County, or to assist residents at risk of homelessness to remain housed * Not available to individuals who request funding to relocate into Grey County 
Allowable costs to obtain housing include: last month’s rent and deposits for energy costs (gas, electricity, etc) * Requires verification of costs and complete information about landlord (name, address, contact phone number) and energy service providers 
Allowable costs to remain housed include: rental arrears to avoid eviction and energy arrears to avoid service disconnection (heat, electricity, water and sewage, utilities) * Copies of disconnection and eviction notices are required * Bed bug or other infestations are the responsibility of landlords * If the landlord fails to address a problem and verification of the infestation is provided, assistance may be considered 
Beds, fridges and stoves may be considered on a case-by-case basis * Costs are paid directly to landlords and/or service providers 
OW/ODSP clients may have their future rent/energy costs paid directly from their entitlement * Non-OW/ODSP applicants must provide verification of accommodation costs, income and assets
Service Details
Public Comments Funding is limited * entitlement amounts and approved services may vary at various times
Hours Mon-Fri 8:30 am-4:30 pm
Areas Served Grey County
Boundaries Grey County
Eligibility Applicant must:  
* be a Grey County resident 
* be homeless or at risk of homelessness 
* have not received assistance under the CHPI program (including other municipalities) within the past 24 months 
* have a gross household income that is within the Housing Services Act limits: 
i. Single $24,500  
ii. Couple $31,000  
iii. Single/couple with one dependent $38,000  
iv. Single/couple with two dependents $43,500  
v. Single/couple with 3+ dependents $54,000  
* have household assets within the following limits: 
i. Single $2,500 
ii. Couple - no dependents $5,000 
iii. Each dependent add $500 
Applicant may:  
* be a victim of domestic violence 
* be discharged from hospital/incarceration 
* be required to relocate due to uninhabitable housing (fire, flood, infestation or mold, structurally unsafe, etc.) - third party verification required 
* be moving to more sustainable housing (costs at least 20% less than current)  
* have experienced a catastrophic event (fire, flood, etc. with no insurance)
Application Call either the Housing or Social Services Department and request for the Sustainable Housing Benefit Form to be mailed out * application form available online on the Affordable Housing page * or pick up an application form at: 
* Grey County Administration Office - 595 9th Ave East, Owen Sound 
* Ontario Works satellite offices (Markdale, Hanover, Durham, Meaford Family Resource Centre, Alpha Street Family Resource Centre) 
* the offices of a number of community partners: Y Housing, Grey Bruce Community Legal Clinic, Women’s Centre, MPP office 
* ODSP clients may obtain an application form from their ODSP caseworker 
Application form includes information on where and how to submit the completed application, consent and verifying information to consider the request 
Appointment is not required
Languages English
Fees None
Address and Location
Located In Community Owen Sound
Address & Map
County of Grey
595 9th Ave E
Owen Sound, ON N4K 3E3
View Google Map
Intersection 9th Ave and 6th St East
Physical Access Fully Accessible
Contact information
Office Phone 519-376-5744 (Housing)
Toll Free Phone 1-800-265-3119
Fax 519-376-0445 (Housing) * 519-376-4920 (Social Services)
Primary Contact Shannon Knott, Affordable Housing Coordinator, Grey County Housing; Phone: (Business) 519-376-5744 ext 1204; Email:
Alternate Contact Josh Gibson, Housing Programs Manager, Grey County Housing; Phone: (Business) 519-376-5744 ext 1216; Email:
Primary Executive Anne Marie Shaw, Director, Grey County Housing; Phone: (Business) 519-376-5744 ext 1305; Fax: 519-376-0445; Email:
Mailing Address c/o Department of Housing or Department of Social Services 
595 9th St E 
Owen Sound, On N4K 3E3
CWD_NEWHUB_HEADINGGROUPS Child, Youth & Family ; Financial Assistance ; Housing
CWD_NEWHUB_HEADINGS Financial Assistance Programs ; Rent & Housing Assistance ; Rent & Housing Payment Assistance ; Utility Assistance ; Utility Payment Assistance

The information on the Website is provided for information purposes only. It is not intended to provide medical, legal or professional advice whatsoever and should not be relied upon in that respect. The website and the content are provided "as is". While Community Connection/211 endeavors to provide information that is correct, accurate and timely, Community Connection/211 makes no representations or warranties, express or implied, regarding the website and the content. The inclusion of an organization and information about its programs and services on the Website does not imply endorsement by Community Connection/211, nor does exclusion indicate lack of endorsement. For more information, please read the full Terms of Use for this site