Service: Human Services - Housing Services - Westario Power Low-Income Energy Assistance Program
|Record #: BRU0045||Last Modified: 24 Jul 2020||Last Full Update: 02 Jan 2020|
|Description (Service)||COVID-19 Response
As of August 4, 2020, the ban on disconnection for non-payment for natural gas and electricity has ended. Customer who were behind in payments prior to March should expect collection activities and disconnection notices in the following weeks.
Utilities must let a customer know their account is overdue at least seven days prior to issuing a disconnection notice.
Assistance with utility arrears is available through the usual programs (see below)
In addition there is a special program available to those whose income has been affected by the pandemic.
COVID-19 Energy Assistance Program (CEAP): for customers who are having difficulty paying their utility bills due to the COVID-19 Pandemic.
* Available to consumers who have fallen behind by at least two billing cycles, but whose accounts were in good standing when provincial emergency was declared (Mar 17, 2020)
* Available for those unemployed on the date they apply for funding, and have received Employment Insurance or the Canada Emergency Response Benefit since March 17, 2020
* Provides electricity customers with up to $230 in support if they primarily use electricity for heating, or if they use energy-intensive medical devices, and up to $115 otherwise
* Provides natural gas customers with up to $160 if they reside in Northern Ontario, and up to $80 if they reside elsewhere
* Those who have received support from the Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LEAP) or the Ontario Electricity Support Program in the recent past are ineligible
Applications will be available through the utility providers’ websites and will be accepted by email, mail, on-line application or by phone as of July 13, 2020.
Customers will be credited on their utility account.
For complete details and eligibility, contact your utility provider.
Westario Power customers can get up to $500 in emergency assistance for their electricity bills ($600 if home is heated electrically) * assistance is only available if behind on bill, or in arrears and may be at risk of having service shut off (disconnected) * assistance is for emergency situations only and is not meant to provide ongoing help to pay bills * cannot receive more money than you owe on your bill
|Hours||Mon-Fri 8:30 am-4:30 pm|
|Areas Served||Bruce County ; Grey County ; Huron County ; Wellington County|
|Eligibility||In order to be eligible for a LEAP EFA grant, applicants must:
* be an existing customer of Westario or an existing customer of a unit sub-meter provider operating within the service area of the distributor;
* reside at the address for which there are arrears; and
* have an after-tax household income at or below the thresholds:
1 - 2 person(s): less than $28,000
3 - 4 persons: $28,001 - $39,000
5 - 6 persons: $39,001 - $48,000
7 or more persons: $48,001 - $52,000
|Application||Fax to office or mail or drop off your application to:
Bruce County Housing, Box 1450, 325 Lambton St, Kincardine, ON N2Z 2Z4
Or drop off your application to local Social Services office:
Walkerton - 30 Park St
Port Elgin - 1243 MacKenzie Rd
Wiarton - 268 Berford St
If you have any questions or need to make other arrangements to pick up or send in an application please contact Bruce County Housing at: 519-396-3450 or 1-877-396-3450
|Address and Location|
|Located In Community||Kincardine (Town of)|
|Address & Map||
325 Lambton St
Kincardine, ON N2Z 2Z4
View Google Map
|Physical Access||Fully Accessible|
|Toll Free Phone||1-800-265-3022|
|Primary Contact||Carolyn Parks, Community Support Coordinator; Phone: 519-396-3450 * 1-877-396-3450|
|Alternate Contact||Tania Dickson, Housing Services Manager; Phone: 519-396-3450 * 1-877-396-3450|
|Mailing Address||Box 1450
Kincardine, ON N2Z 2Z4
|CWD_NEWHUB_HEADINGGROUPS||Child, Youth & Family ; Financial Assistance ; Housing|
|CWD_NEWHUB_HEADINGS||Financial Assistance Programs ; Utility Assistance ; Utility Payment Assistance|